Strawberry Chocolate Cake
• Selfrising flour – 2 cups
• Carob powder/hersheys cocoa powder – ½ cup
• Sugar – 1cup+2Tbsp
• Salt – 1/4tsp
• Soda – ¾ tsp
• Oil – 1/3 cup
• Yogurt – ¼ cup
• Water/milk – 1 cup
• Chocolate essence/vanilla essence – 1 tsp
1. Prepare the pan well with baking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Mix Self rising flour, carob powder, salt, soda and sugar and sieve.
3. In a separate bowl, mix oil, yogurt, water and chocolate essence.
4. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients little at a time, stirring continuously with a hand blender, till well mixed, soft and creamy. The batter will be thin in consistency.
5. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out dry. This will give a 2 inch layer when baked in a 10 inch round cake pan. Make 2 such layers and fill strawberry cream filling in between the layers.
6. Ice with piped vanilla or chocolate cream frosting. You can colour the vanilla frosting with any food colour you like.
7. Strawberry cream filling – to put between the cakes
8. Put the bowl and the wire whisk in the freezer 15 minutes before whipping.
• Chilled Whipping cream – 1 cup
• Sugar -2-3tbsp
• Chilled Strawberry jam -2-3tbsp.
• Chilled Strawberries -7-8
• Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
1. Beat 1 cup of cold whipping cream or full fat cream with 2-3tbsp of sugar, vanilla essence till stiff peaks are formed. Don’t overbeat it. Add 7-8 finely chopped strawberries, and 2-3 tbsp of strawberry jam. Fold in well with a fork. Spread it between the 2 layers of cake.
Vanilla Whipped cream frosting-to ice/decorate the cake
1. Put the bowl and the wire whisk in the freezer 15 minutes before whipping. Everything should be chilled.
• Cold heavy cream(35-40%fat content)- 1 cup (240ml)
• Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
• Granulated white sugar/powdered sugar.(or more if desired) – 2 tbsp
1. In the chilled bowl, add 1 cup heavy cream, vanilla and sugar. Start beating with an electric beater on low speed and gradually increase to medium high as it starts becoming stiff. Notice the wire whisks beginning to leave tracks on the cream. Don’t walk away as you will land up with butter in your hands. Finish it off by beating it for few seconds with your hand whisk. If you overbeat it, add a bit of cream and it will come back to its nice peaks. Cover with a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight or for 6-8 hours or use it immediately. If it turns to liquid, beat it a little and it will come back to its stiff consistency. Note all equipments should be chilled for good results.
Chocolate Whipped cream frosting-to ice/decorate the cake
• Chocolate- 1-2 tbsp of unsweetened carob powder
• Sugar – 3-4tbsp
• Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
• Chilled heavy cream – 1 cup
• Dissolve the carob powder in 2tbsp of liquid cream and add the rest of the cream, vanilla and sugar.
• Beat till stiff peaks are formed.
1. Put in icing bag and decorate the cake.
By Bhaktin Meena