Sweet Potato Salad in Maple-Lemon Vinaigrette
• Sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds/1kg), washed but not peeled – 6 medium-sized
• Maple syrup or honey – 4 tbsp
• Orange or tangerine juice – 3 tbsp
• Lemon or lemon juice – 3 tbsp
• Salt – ¾ tsp
• Freshly ground black pepper or 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper – ¼ tsp
• Olive oil, or 2 tablespoons almond oil and 6 tablespoons sunflower oil – ½ cup
• Finely chopped fresh coriander or parsley – 1/3 cup
• Chopped candied or stem ginger – 2 tbsp
• Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into ½–inch (1.5 cm) cubes – 3 medium-sized
1. Prick the potatoes with a fork in 2 or 4 places, then wrap in aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 400 F (205 C) oven for about 45 minutes or just until crushably soft.
2. Cool, peel, cut into ½-inch (1.5 cm) cubes and places them in a large salad bowl. Alternatively, peel the potatoes, steam them, let them cool, and cube them.
3. Combine the sweetener, juices, salt, cayenne or black pepper, oil, fresh herbs and ginger in a jar, cover and shake until emulsified. Pour the dressing over the potatoes, toss gently, cover and set aside, refrigerated, for 1-8 hours.
4. Before serving, add the tomatoes, gently toss and serve on a bed of mixed greens.