• Alu (Taro/ Colocasia / Arbi) Leaves – 6
• Chickpea Flour – 1 Cup
• Green Chilies, Ginger, Coriander Seed Paste – To Taste
• Baking soda – 1 Pinch
• Sesame Seeds – 1 tbsp
• Tamarind Paste – 1 tsp
• Jaggery – ½ tsp
• Oil for Frying
• Salt as required
1. Wash and clean alu leaves.
2. Mix besan, ginger-green chilies-coriander seeds paste.
3. Add salt, soda, sesame seeds, tamarind paste, jaggery and water.
4. Make a thick mixture of all these ingredients just like pakoda batter.
5. Place leaves upside down and flatten the veins of leaves by pressing rolling pin.
6. Place largest leaf on flat surface.
7. Apply some batter evenly on it. Place another leaf on this leaf and apply batter.
8. Roll these leaves from the base towards the tip.
9. Repeat this procedure for remaining leaves.
10. Steam these rolls in a steamer or in a pressure cooker without pressure for 15-20 minutes. Remove rolls from steamer with the help of knife and let it cool.
11. Cut these rolls into small pieces.
12. You can shallow fry them or deep fry them till they become golden brown.
13. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on it.
By Bhaktin Malathy