Bread and Salad:
• 2 large bell peppers
• 1 Tbsp oil
• 1 long eggplant cut into cubes
• 1 large tomato cut into cubes
• 2 C bread cubes
• 3 Tbsp grated cheese
• ½ C olive oil
• ¼ C lemon juice
• ¼ Tsp yellow asafetida powder
• ½ Tsp ground pepper
• ½ Tsp salt
• ½ Tsp dries basil
• 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
• 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
1. Grill the peppers under a griller or directly over the stove-top until the skin is blistered and blackened. Place immediately in a plastic bag to steam for 15 minutes. Remove the bell pepper and peel off the blackened skin. Chop the bell peppers roughly and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan over moderate heat. Add the eggplants; saute them until browned and fully cooked.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the peppers, eggplants, tomatoes and the bread cubes.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined. Add to the bread and salad. Serve with the grated cheese.
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi