Butter-soft Eggplant Wedges
• Turmeric – 1½ tbsp
• Salt – 1½ tbsp
• Water – 3 tbsp
• Baby white or purple eggplants (about 1¼ pounds/570g) or 1 medium-sized eggplant (about 1¼ pound/570 g) – 8-10
• Ghee or olive oil for frying.
1. Combine the turmeric, salt and water in a bowl. Cut small eggplants in half, or cut larger ones into wedges roughly 2½ inches (6.5 cm) long and 1½ inches (4 cm) wide. Toss the eggplant with the turmeric-salt mixture and set aside for 15-30 minutes.
2. To remove the watery turmeric marinade, drain the eggplant in a paper towel-lined colander. Pour enough ghee or oil to reach a depth ½ inch (1.5 cm) in a large heavy frying pan and place it over moderately high heat. When it is hot and nearly reaches its smoking point, carefully add a single layer of eggplant pieces. Fry, turning the pieces on all sides, until they assume a rich reddish-brown color and are fork-tender.
3. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.