Egyptian Crumbly Spice & Nut Dip
• Hazelnuts – ½ cup
• Sesame seeds – ¾ cup
• Coriander seeds – ½ cup
• Cumin seeds – ½ cup
• Salt – 1 tsp
• Pepper – ½ tsp
• Olive oil and crusty bread for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180? C / 350° F.
2. Roast the hazelnuts on an oven tray for about 15 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove them from the oven, and when a little cool, rub away as much of the brown skin from the nuts as you can.
3. Toast the sesame seeds in a heavy frying pan over moderate heat, stirring often, for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown and aromatic. Empty the toasted seeds into a bowl. Toast the coriander seeds in a similar manner for about 2-3 minutes. Repeat for the cumin, toasting for about 2 minutes.
4. Pound the seeds and nuts using a mortar and pestle, or whiz them in a spice or coffee grinder. The mixture should be dry and crumbly, not oily. Combine the crushed nuts and seeds with the salt and pepper.
5. Serve as a dip with olive oil and crusty bread.