Ekadashi Potato and Spinach Pie
• 1 kg (2 lbs) potatoes boiled with 1 tsp salt and mashed
• 400 g (about 1 lb) fresh spinach or 200 g frozen
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp Rock salt
• 1 tsp dry thyme
• 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
• 2-3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
• 100 ml (about ½ cup) milk
• a little butter for greasing
• 100 g (1.2 cup) grated /mozarella/Parmesan cheese (I used Parmesan)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C /Gas Mark 4/ 350 F.
2. Mash the boiled potatoes, adding the milk as you go.
3. Add 1 tsp rock salt, 2 finely chopped green chillies, and coriander leaves.
4. Wash and drain the spinach and boil in its own moisture, with 1 tsp Rock salt and 1 tbsp water, for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the olive oil, 1-2 finely chopped green chillies and thyme
6. Grease a large Pyrex dish/ baking dish with butter and spread half the mashed potatoes on it.
7. Spread the spinach mixture on top, sprinkle with grated cheese and finish with a layer of mashed potatoes and cheese on top.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or till the cheese melts.
9. Serve to the Lord and distribute the prasad.
By Meena Samtani / Madhulila Dasi