• Chickpeas, soaked overnight, then simmered until tender – 1 cup
• Ghee – 1 tbsp
• Fresh ginger, grated – 2-3 tbsp
• Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
• Black pepper, ground – 1/4 tsp
• Hing – 1/8 tsp
• Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
• Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
• Celery, chopped – 1
• Salt as desired
• Lemon juice (optional)
1. Bring the chickpeas to a boil and then simmer until done (Some people like them barely cooked, some like them very soft- mash one to test).
2. Chaunce in hot ghee the mustard seeds. When they almost stop popping, add the ginger and stir and fry until crispy brown. The ginger may clump together, but for ginger lovers this is not a problem. Otherwise, just set aside the clumps when serving. The flavor will still be infused in the ghee.
3. Add the hing, black pepper, turmeric and fenugreek in quick succession.
4. Then add the celery and stir.
5. Add the chick peas and stir until everything is well incorporated. Turn off the heat.
6. Serve it with a wedge of lemon.
7. Goes well with pancakes and syrup.
By Bhaktin Priya