• Besan – 1 cup
• Water – 1 cup
• Sour buttermilk 2 cups or Sour yoghurt – 1 ½ cup +water 1 ½ cup
• Turmeric – ¼ tsp
• Red chili powder – ¼ tsp
• Green chili & ginger paste1 tsp
• Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
• Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
• Pinch of asafetida
• Fresh coconut gratings – 2 tsp
• Finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Grease the bottoms of 2 -3 big steel plates with enough oil before beginning the procedure to make Khandvi batter.
2. In a mixing bowl combine besan with yoghurt, water, turmeric, red chili powder, green chili and ginger paste and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps formed.
3. Use a hand blender or a balloon whisk / beater. The batter has to be watery like the dosa batter.
4. Heat a non-stick pan on low flame & add 1 tbsp of oil.
5. To this add the batter & cook it on medium flame by stirring continuously for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from gas.
7. The batter’s consistency should be more or less the same as before.
8. Pour ladleful of batter on the steel plate surface & spread the batter in circular motion like making a dosa.
9. Let the batter cool down completely.
10. Cut out strips of the cooled batter.
11. Roll the strips & arrange them on a plate to pour the seasoning.
12. Prepare the seasoning by heating 2 tsp of oil in a pan.
13. Add asafetida & mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add sesame seeds & wait till they turn slightly brown.
14. Remove from flame & pour the seasoning on the arranged Khandvis.
15. Before serving, sprinkle red chili flakes, fresh coconut gratings or dry coconut powder & coriander leaves.