• New rice – 1 cup
• Salt (powdered) – ½ tsp.
• Milk – 10 cups
1. Boil milk in a heavy bronze vessel.
2. When it starts boiling reduces the flame and add washed rice. (Do not soak).
3. Keep stirring constantly in medium flame till rice is cooked soft. (Keep one or two cups of hot milk separately).
4. If the pongal thickens before the rice becomes soft, add hot milk and continue cooking.
5. When the pongal is thick enough remove from fire and add powdered salt.
6. Mix well and serve hot with coriander chutney and sambar.
Note: If rice is very old, increase volume of milk. One liter milk can be diluted with 3 cups of water.
By Bhaktin Shanti