Moist Oatmeal Breakfast Cake Served with Homemade Roselle (Jamaica) Jam
• 2 cups oat flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup cane sugar
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
• 1/2 cup dried fruit (I used dried cranberries)
• 1/2 cup coconut oil
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• pinch of salt
• 3-4 cups water
1) First I made my own oat flour by adding 2 cups of rolled oats into a blender and blended until I had a flour, about 1 minute. Next, preheat oven to 350F/175C.
2) Then add all the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together until you have a liquid cake batter.
3) Let the batter sit for 5 minutes and then stir. If the batter is too thick then add more water until it is a pourable batter.
4) Next pour batter into your banana leaf liner molds and bake for 30 minutes. Click here to learn how to make your own homemade cake liners.
5) After baking for 30 minutes, check to see if the cake is done by poking the cake with a knife. If it comes out dry it is ready.
6) When the cake is done let it cool for about 20 minutes.
7) After 20 minutes turn the cake upside down and peel off the leaves.