Shredded Carrot and Cashew Nut Salad
You can use almonds, hazelnuts or pistachios instead of cashews for this dish, and yellow bell peppers in place of red.
Preparation time (after assembling ingredients): 5 minutes
• Scraped finely shredded carrots, pressed dry – 1 cup (240 ml)
• Finely chopped red bell peppers, stemmed and seeded – 1/3 cup (80 ml)
• Chopped cashew nuts, toasted – 1/3 cup (50 g)
• Salt – ½ teaspoon (2 ml)
• Yogurt or crème fraiche (optional) – 2 table spoons (30 ml)
• Ghee or vegetable oil – 1 ½ table spoons (22 ml)
• Black mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon (5 ml)
• Coarsely chopped fresh coriander or minced parsley – 1 table spoon (15 ml)
1. Combine the carrots, bell peppers, nuts, salt, and yogurt or crème fraiche) if desired) in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat the ghee or oil in a small saucepan over moderate heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds and fry until they sputter, pop and turn gray. Pour the seasoning into the salad, add the fresh herbs and toss to mix.
By Yamuna Devi Dasi