Shredded Radish, Coconut and Carrot Salad
Try this dish when you have leftover coconut on hand, or if you have frozen shredded coconut. In large cities, frozen shredded coconut is sold in 1-pound (455 g) bags at many Cuban and Spanish grocery stores, and for occasional use it is a convenient alternative. Use any fresh radish little round pinks as a vivid color contrast to the carrots, for example.
Preparation time (after assembling ingredients): 10 minutes
• Shredded radishes – ½ cup (120 ml)
• Shredded fresh coconut – 1/3 cup (35 g)
• Shredded scraped carrots – 1/3 cup (80 ml)
• Salt – teaspoon (1 ml)
• Paprika or cayenne pepper – ¼ teaspoon (1 ml)
• Fresh coriander or parsley – 2 table spoons (30 ml) chopped
• Ghee or avocado oil – 1 ½ table spoons (22 ml)
• Ajwain seeds or celery seeds – ¼ teaspoon (1 ml)
• Fennel seeds – ¼ teaspoon (1 ml)
• Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon (1 ml)
1. Combine the radishes, coconut and carrots in a strainer and press out the excess liquid. Place them in a bowl and add the salt, paprika or cayenne and fresh herbs.
2. Heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan over moderate heat. When it is hot but not smoking, add the ajwain, fennel and cumin seeds and fry until they darken a few shades. Pour the seasoning into the salad and toss well.
By Yamuna Devi Dasi