Smoked Chipotle Spiced White Beans and Rice
• 2 cups cooked white beans (navy beans)
• 1 cups cooked rice
• 4 tomatoes
• 1 green chilli
• 1 tbsp ghee
• 2 dried smoked chipotle chili
• 2 tsp salt, plus pepper to taste
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 1/2 tsp dried ginger
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 3 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander
1. Cook the rice and pressure cook the white beans. Beans should only take 15 minutes if not soaked over night, if soaked then only 10 minutes.
2. In a blender add the tomatoes, chipotle and green chile and blend until smooth. In a saucepan and on medium high flame add the ghee and tomato sauce. Then add all the remaining spices except the cilantro. Cook for about 8-10 minute until the tomatoes are fully cooked.
3. Then in a large pot add the sauce, rice and the cooked beans including all the bean cooking water. Cook for another 5 minutes. Now add the fresh chopped cilantro.
By Bhaktin Christina