Sweet Potato and Pasilla Chile Dal
Amazing dahl with a little sweet and a little spice!
• 1 1/2 cups dahl (your choice)
• 4 medium tomatoes
• 1 green chile
• 1 pasilla chile
• 1 dried pasilla chile
• 1 sweet potato
• 2 carrots
• 2 tbsp ghee
• 1/3 cup cream
• 1/2 inch fresh ginger
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• dash hing
• 2 tsp salt, and pepper to taste
1. First cook the dal in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes. While the lentils are cooking place the tomatoes, green chile and dried pasilla chile to the blender and blend until smooth.
2. Now chop up all the vegetables in preparation for cooking.
3. Heat the ghee on medium high flame and add the cumin seeds.
4. When the cumin seeds turn brown add the fresh ginger and fry for about 30 seconds.
5. Then add all the chopped veggies.
6. Cook for about 5 minutes.
7. Then add the blended tomato sauce and all remaining spices.
8. Add the cream.
9. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes and then add the dal including all the cooking water. If you would like to have a more liquid dal, add more water or whey if you have any until you get the desired consistency. Cook for another 5 minutes or until all the veggies are fully cooked.
10. Here is what it should look like when it is done.
11. Serve with paneer and chapatis! You are now ready to serve!
By Bhaktin Christina