For the outer covering
• Rice flour – 1½ cups
• Cooking oil – 2 tsp.
• Salt – a pinch
• Water – 3 cups
For the stuffing
• Urad dal – ¼ cup
• Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
• Green chilies – 1 or 2
• Salt – as required
• Oil – 1 tbsp.
• Mustard seeds – 1tsp.
• Urad dal – 1tsp.
• Hing – 1tsp
• Curry leaves – a few
1. Soak the urad dal for ½ hr in water.
2. Drain the water completely and grind it with green chilies, coconut and salt coarsely.
3. Spread the mixture on a clean cloth and steam for 10mnts.
4. Cool and crumble with hands.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Add hing and mustard seeds.
6. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the urad dal.
7. When the urad dal turns little red in color, add the curry leaves and crumbled urad dal and coconut mixture to it.
8. Shallow fry for five minutes. The stuffing is ready.
For rice flour coating:
1. Heat a pan and add 2 tsp of oil.
2. Add 1½ cups of water and pinch of salt to it and boil.
3. Meanwhile mix the rice flour in 1½cups of water into a smooth batter without lumps.
4. When the water starts boiling add this batter and keep stirring until the rice flour becomes a smooth and shiny ball.
5. Remove from fire and let it cool.
For preparing kozhukkattais:
1. Knead the rice flour dough well with your hands.
2. Take a lemon sized portion from it and form into a cup.
3. Smear little oil on your finger tips to make it easier to handle the dough.
4. Put a smaller size ball of the stuffing inside and close from all sides and pinch the ends together.
5. Repeat the same till all the dough and stuffing is used up.
6. Steam the kozhukkattais in a steamer or an idli steamer for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from gas and serve it hot.
By Bhaktin Archana