Carrot & Potato Soup
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• ½ Tsp yellow asafetida powder
• 3 Tbsp bread crumbs
• 1 Tbsp dried celery
• 5 medium sized carrots, peeled cut in small cubes
• 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
• 5 C water/vegetable stock
• 1½ Tsp salt
• 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
• ¼ Tsp ground black pepper
1. Heat 1 Tsp of oil in a pan over moderately heat. Sprinkle ¼ Tsp asafetida. Add the bread crumbs and fry them until browned and aromatic for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a pot over moderate heat. Add the remaining asafetida. Add celery and sauté for 1 minute. Add the diced carrots and potatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour the water/stock. Add the salt. Cover the pot; simmer until the vegetables are fully cooked.
3. Puree half of the soup, and then return back to the pot with the other half vegetable pieces. Cook for 10 more minutes on low heat. Add the parsley. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and pepper. Serve hot.
By Ananda Lila devi dasi