• Fine rice flour – 2 cups
• Coconut milk powder – ¼ cup
• Rice flakes/ Aval – 1 cup
• Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
• Dry yeast – ½ tsp
• Warm water – ½ cup
• Sugar – 2 tsp
• Salt – as required
• Water – as required
• Oil – as required
1. Soak sugar and yeast in warm water and keep aside.
2. Grind rice flakes, and cumin seeds to a fine paste adding enough water.
3. Add this paste to the rice flour.
4. Also add coconut milk powder and the yeast mixture.
5. Add enough water and make a thick batter of idli/ pancake consistency without forming any lumps in it.
6. Keep this batter in a warm place for overnight.
7. Add salt as required and stir well.
8. Heat a non-stick tawa and put a little oil on it.
9. Pour a ladleful of batter on to the pan. Do not spread the batter.
10. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
11. Flip the appam and cook on the other side too, keeping it covered with a lid.
12. Kallappam is ready serve hot.