• 2¼ C all purpose flour
• ¼ Tsp salt
• 1 Tbsp sugar
• ½ C cold unsalted butter
• 2 Tbsp cold yogurt
• 6-7 Tbsp cold water 2
• 6-7 medium apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
• ½ C brown sugar
• ½ Tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)
• ¼ C water
• ½ Tsp vanilla essence
• 1 Tsp lemon juice
1. For the pastry, combine the flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cut the utter into pieces and add to the flour. Rub the butter into the flour using ingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Add yogurt and adding enough water, quickly form the mixture into a ball. Wrap the ball in a plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
4. For the filling, combine the apples, sugar and cinnamon over moderate heat in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil.
5. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water until smooth and add to he boiling mixture. Boil for another 2 minutes and remove from heat.
6. Add vanilla and lemon juice to the apple filling. Combine well.
7. Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C. Divide the pastry in two parts, one part lightly larger than the other. On a floured surface, roll out the larger portion.
8. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the rolled pastry; trim even with edge of the plate. Add filling and spread evenly. Roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top of pie and cover it. Trim, seal and flute the edges with fingertips or using a fork.
Cut slits in top.
9. Bake at 400 F/200 C for 40-45 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack. For a tasty treat, serve warm apple pie with ice cream or custard.
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi