Coconut & Coriander Chutney
• 1½ C fresh shredded coconut
• 1 bunch, fresh coriander leaves
• 1 Tbsp grated ginger
• 2 hot green chilies
• ½ C water
• ¾ Tsp salt
• 1 C yogurt
• 2 Tsp oil
• 1 Tsp black mustard seeds
• ¾ Tsp split urad dal
• 8-9 fresh curry leaves
• ¼ Tsp yellow asafetida powder
1. Blend the coconut, coriander, ginger, chilies, salt and water (as required) in a blender until smooth.
2. In a bowl, whisk the yogurt using a wire whisk until smooth. Stir in the coconut-coriander paste.
3. Heat oil in a small pan over moderately high heat. Add the mustard seeds, when they crackle, add urad dal, sauté until golden, add curry leaves, sauté for a while and sprinkle asafetida. Remove from heat and immediately add to the chutney.
** This chutney can be used for variety of dishes like dosas, idlis, pongal,vadas etc.
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi