Curry leaves Powder (Karepaku podi)
• Curry leaves powder – 2 tbsp
• Black gram dhal – ¼ cup
• Red chilies – 15 to 20
• Salt – as required
• Tamarind – little more than gooseberry sized
• Bengal gram dhal – ¼ cup
1. Separate the tender curry leaves from its bark.
2. Wash and wipe with a cloth.
3. Dry by spreading on a clean towel.
4. When it is completely dry, roast it in a hot shallow pan till it becomes crisp.
5. Remove from fire and powder it; measure this powder.
6. Dry roast black gram dhal and Bengal gram dhal separately.
7. Fry red chilies alone in oil and powder everything together.
8. At the end add curry leaves powder salt, and tamarind.
9. Pound well and store in clean dry jar.
By Bhaktin Malathy