• ½ C peeled and grated green mango
• 1/3 C water
• ½ Tsp turmeric powder
• 1/8 Tsp salt
• ½ C powdered jaggery
• 1 Tbsp water
• 2 Tbsp rice flour + 4 Tsp water
• 1 Tsp ghee
• ½ Tsp black mustard seeds
• 1 green chili
• 1 dried red chili
1. Combine the mangoes, water, turmeric and salt in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until the mangoes are softened.
2. In another small saucepan, combine the jaggery and water over medium heat. As the jaggery melts, reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Strain the jaggery solution through a sieve and add to the cooking mangoes. Cook for 5-7 minutes and simmer.
3. In a small bowl, combine the rice flour and water until smooth. Add to the simmering chutney. Cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Heat ghee in a pan over moderate heat; add mustard seeds, when they crackle, add green chili and red chili. Sauté until aromatic. Add to the chutney.
1 Cup Mango Chutney
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi