• 1 C rice
• 2 C water
• 3 Tbsp oil
• 2 dried red chilies
• 1 Tsp black mustard seeds
• ½ Tsp cumin seeds
• 1 Tbsp chana dal
• 1 Tsp urad dal
• ½ Tsp yellow asafetida powder
• 1 Tsp turmeric powder
• 1 green chilly, chopped
• 1 sprig curry leaves
• 1½ C peeled and grated green mango
• 1¼ Tsp salt
1. Combine the rice and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Stir the rice once, reduce the heat to very low and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook until the rice is tender.
2. Cool the rice in a large mixing bowl or plate.
3. Heat oil in a pan over moderately high heat. Add chilies and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add cumin seeds, chana dal and urad dal. Reduce the heat to low. Sauté until golden. Sprinkle asafetida; add turmeric, green chilly and curry leaves. Saute until fragrant.
4. Add the mangoes. Turning now and then, cook uncovered until the mangoes are limp, for about 10-12 minutes. Add salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add the spiced mango mixture to the cooked rice and mix well.
Serve with Papad.
** If your mangoes are not sour enough then you may add 2 cups of grated mango.
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi