Shrikhand is a classic dessert of Western India. Plain yogurt is transformed into an aromatic delicacy flavored with saffron and cardamom. With this Popsicle recipe you can change the flavor to whatever you want (Mango or Strawberry for example).
• 4 cups of yogurt
• ¾ cup of sugar as needed
• Few strands of saffron
• 1 tablespoon warm milk (instead of milk and saffron I just used a pinch of turmeric)
• About ¼ teaspoon crushed cardamom
• 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
• 1 tablespoon sliced pistachios
1. Drain the yogurt. Put a muslin or cheese cloth over a strainer. Now pour the yogurt over muslin cloth to drain. Place a bowl underneath the strainer to collect the excess water.
2. Next gently squeeze the excess water from yogurt. Make sure not to squeeze out the yogurt.
3. Move the yogurt with strainer and bowl into the refrigerator for at least six hours to drain excess water.
4. Yogurt will become thick in consistency.
5. Dissolve the saffron in warm milk. Milk will take on the saffron color, yellowish orange.
6. Add sugar, cardamom powder, and saffron milk to yogurt and beat well till sugar dissolves. You may use a mixer.
7. Mix in most of the almonds and pistachios to the yogurt place mixture inside little cups or a Popsicle tray.
8. Add little wood sticks and freeze over night.
1. When the water is draining from the yogurt, it’s suggested to keep the yogurt in the refrigerator in order to keep the yogurt from becoming more sour.
By Bhaktin Christina