Thai Sticky Rice with Mango
• Sticky (glutinous) white rice, soaked in cold water for 1 hour, then drained – 2 cups
• Coconut milk, one 400ml can – 1¼ cups
• Salt – a pinch
• Sugar – 2 tbsp
• Ripe mangoes – 2 large
• Coconut milk to serve – 2 tbsp
• Mint leaves to decorate
1. Combine the rice, coconut milk, salt and sugar in an uncovered saucepan with 1¼ cups of water. Stir and bring to the boil over moderate heat.
2. Simmer the rice, stirring, for about 8-10 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, cover the pan, and leave it to stand for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the rice to a steamer or double saucepan, and steam it for 15-20 minutes.
4. Spoon the hot steamed sticky rice into 6-8 individual ramekins or individual pudding moulds lined with plastic wrap and set them aside to cool.
5. Serve: unmould the rice and place one portion in the centre of each dessert plate. Arrange the mango around it, and drizzle the rice with the reserved coconut milk. Garnish with mint leaves.