• Gram flour – 1 ½ cup
• Sugar – 1 cup
• Water – 1 cup
• Cardamom powder – 2 pieces (powdered)
• Raisins and cashews – ¼ cup
• Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Put the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
2. When the syrup comes to a boil, turn the heat to medium and stir to dissolve the sugar.
3. Let it simmer until the syrup is about half thread consistency or 220 degrees on the candy thermometer.
4. Add enough water to the gram flour and make it like dosa batter.
5. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, pour the batter over the ladle; so it will fall like tiny balls (boondi) into the oil.
6. Drain it from oil and immediately put it into the sugar syrup.
7. Leave it in the sugar syrup for few minutes and drain it.
8. Repeat the same process for the whole batter.
9. Now heat little ghee in a pan and fry the raisins and cashews and add it to the boondi.
10. Let it cool for few minutes; make balls immediately when it is warm otherwise it is hard to make balls and leave till dry.
*Note: To test if the oil is the right temperature, drop a pinch of batter into the oil; if it rises immediately without changing color then the oil is ready to start for frying.
By Bhaktin Mallika