All-Homemade Vegetable Cheese Pizza
This pizza is really gourmet! The crust is thick, crunchy and fluffy. The sauce is wonderful with a touch of fresh garden herbs. A wonderful dish to offer to Kṛṣṇa!
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 cup white flour
• 3/4 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
Fresh Herb Tomato Sauce
• 6 small tomatoes
• 1 or 2 chile
• 2 tbsp ghee
• fresh oregano, sage and rosemary
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 1/4 tsp hing
• 2 cups homemade pizza sauce
• 2 chopped fresh tomatoes
• 1 chopped zucchini
• 1 chopped bell pepper
• 1 cup yogurt cheese, or any cheese
• Salt and pepper
• Extra Virgin Olive oil
1. In a small bowl add the buttermilk/or yogurt, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
2. Stir with a whisk and make sure there are no lumps. Let it sit for 3 minutes.
3. You will notice that the mixture begins to bubble.
4. In a larger mixing bowl add both flours and then combine the wet ingredients. Mix into a dough. Now flour your pizza baking pan and place the round dough on top of the baking pan.
5. Then gently press the dough out until it covers the entire pan at about 1/4 inch high. Then fold over the ends to make a ridge so that no sauce can escape the pizzas edge.
6. When you are done making the higher edges, take a fork and prick holes through out the center of the dough. This is to avoid the dough from getting large bubbles while cooking. Now place in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes.
7. Here is what it looks like after cooking for 10 minutes. We only want to cook the dough half way because we will cook it again later with the veggies.
8. Time to make the pizza sauce. Place the tomatoes and chile in the blender and blend until smooth.
9. Chop up the fresh herbs. I used rosemary, oregano and sage.
10. In a small saucepan, heat the ghee and then add the fresh herbs. By heating the herbs in oil, it helps release the wonderful flavor of the herbs. Cook for about 1 minute.
11. Now add the pureed tomatoes and remaining spices. Cook for about 8 minutes or when the tomatoes are fully done.
12. Chop up all of the veggies. Now it is time to prepare the pizza!
13. Place the tomato sauce on top of the pizza dough.
14. Next top with some yogurt cheese and zucchini.
15. Add the tomatoes and bell pepper. Then sprinkle with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Now you are ready to place the pizza back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
16. Take it out of the oven!
17. Now you are ready to Serve!
By Bhaktin Christina