Cabbage and Potato Kofta
• ¾ C finely grated cabbage
• ¾ C finely grated potatoes
• ½ Tsp turmeric powder
• 1 Tbsp curry powder
• 1 Tbsp finely grated ginger
• 2 hot green chilies minced
• ¾ Tsp salt
• 2 Tsp lemon juice
• 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
• ½ C chickpea flour /besan (You may add some more besan if the
consistency of the mixture is loose)
• Ghee/oil for deep frying
1. Squeeze the extra moisture from the vegetables by pressing them between your palms.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine vegetables and all the ingredients except the besan and ghee/oil.
3. Heat ghee/oil in a deep frying pan over moderately high heat. Once ready to fry; add the besan to the vegetable mixture and combine well (Adding besan just before frying ensures that the mixture wouldn’t be loose).
4. Drop the mixture by tablespoonfuls into the hot ghee/oil. Turning often, cook them on medium heat until crisp and evenly browned from all sides (Don’t cook the balls on high heat as they be browned from outside and would not get cooked from inside). Serve hot with any chutney.
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi