Herbed Cracked Wheat Uppma with fried vegetables
If you have the luxury of a kitchen herb garden, feel free to add your favorites. I enjoy summer savory, coriander, parsley, mint and marjoram. If you must resort to dried herbs, at least feature fresh parsley, a year-round staple even in supermarkets. Cracked wheat and bulgur can be used interchangeably and are available at supermarkets, specialty stores and many co-ops. Bulgur is wheat that ahs been boiled, dried and cracked, with a tossed green salad anda light soup, you have a complete lunch.
Preparation time and cooking time (after assembling ingredients): about ½ hour
• Ghee or vegetable oil – 3 table spoons (45 ml)
• Split urad dal, if available – 1 teaspoon (5 ml)
• Cumin seeds – 1 ½ teaspoons (7 ml)
• Black mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon (2 ml)
• Fresh green chilies, finely sliced – 1-3
• Finely chopped cored and seeded red bell peppers – ½ cup (120 ml)
• Finely chopped celery stalks with tops – ½ cup (120 ml)
• Zucchini, cut into ¼ -inch (6 mm) dice – 2/3 cup (160 ml)
• Cracked wheat or bulgur – 1 cup (155 g)
• Water – 2 cups (480 ml)
• Packed chopped spinach – 1 cup (240 ml)
• Chopped fresh herbs (coriander, parsley, basil, summer savory, mint, marjoram, as desired) – ½ cup (120 ml) or chopped fresh parsley – 1/3 cup (80 ml) and mixed dried herbs – ½ table spoon (7 ml)
• Salt – 1 ½ teaspoons (7 ml)
• Tomato flower garnish (optional)
1. Heat the ghee or oil over moderate heat in a heavy nonstick saucepan. When it is hot, add the urad dal, and in a few seconds follow with the cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and green chilies. Fry until dal turns reddish-brown and the mustard seeds pop.
2. Stir in the bell peppers, celery and zucchini and fry for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the cracked wheat or bulgur and stir-fry to toast it for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the water, spinach, half of the fresh mixed herbs or parsley and all of the dried herbs, and the salt, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed into the grains and the dish is light and fluffy.
4. Fold in the remaining herbs and serve garnished with optional tomato flowers.
4 to 6
4 to 6
By Yamuna Devi Dasi