• 3 C peeled and grated pumpkin
• ½ C butter
• 3 Tbsp cashews/almonds
• 3 green cardamoms
• ½ C milk powder
• 1 C sugar
• 2/3 C water
1. Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer and cook for 15 minutes until thickened. Keep the syrup warm.
2. In another heavy bottomed saucepan, slowly melt the butter over low heat. Add the grated pumpkin. Cook stirring often to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan for atleast 1 hour until the raw smell of pumpkin goes away and the pumpkin is cooked fully and mashed to a thick puree form.
3. Meanwhile when the pumpkin is getting cooked, grind the cashews and cardamom to powder. Add this grinded powder and milk powder to the cooked pumpkin. Cook for 10 minutes stirring often. Now, add the sugar solution. Cook stirring continuously until all the ingredients are combined well and the mixture gathers to a mass and leaves the sides of the pan.
4. Transfer the fudge to a greased plate/tray and spread evenly. When firm, cut in square pieces and allow to cool completely. Store in refrigerator.
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi