Sweet and Sour Tamarind Veggies
For the sauce
• Handful of fresh tamarind
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon red chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
• dash of hing
1. Break the tamarind into small pieces and soak in hot boiling water for 1 hour.
2. Mash it into a pulp and strain pressing the tamarind into the strainer so that all the pulp comes out.
3. Add sugar to the pulp then mix well.
4. Add the remaining ingredients.
1. You can use any veggies you like in a stir fry. I used broccoli, swiss chard, cabbage, carrots, green bell pepper and zucchini. Place all of your chopped veggies on a steam rack inside of a large pot with lid and steam the veggies until they are just crisp, about 10-12 minutes. Make sure that you put the veggies that take longer to cook on the bottom first.
2. When veggies are done take them out of the pot and drain all remaining water and then put the veggies back in same pot. Add:
• a tablespoon of ghee
• tamarind sauce
• 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
Stir all together and your ready to serve. Best served with rice.
By Bhaktin Christina