• Milk – 1 gallon
• Lemon juice (fresh or bottled), yogurt whey or citric acid
• Chopped fresh green chilis or cayenne pepper (optional)
• Roasted ground cumin powder (optional)
• Fresh lemon juice (optional)
• Turmeric (optional)
• Fresh chopped coriander
• Ghee or vegetable oil (ghee gives the best flavor, it's clarified butter and cheaper to make your own)
1. Curdle the milk by bringing it to a boil and add enough lemon juice (RealLemon is ok and cheaper) or citric acid (about 3/4 t) until the curds and whey separate.
2. Pour the curds into a cheesecloth to drain the whey. Squeeze when fairly cooled to get more whey out.
3. Knead the curds a bit onto a clean surface. Add seasonings suggested above, as desired.
4. Shape into patties and fry on each side on a hot griddle with ghee until nicely browned.
(You can make as many patties as you need and extra curd may be refrigerated for up to a week)
By Bhaktin Priya