Masala French Fries
• 3 large potatoes
• 1¼ Tsp salt
• 3 Tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
• 2 Tsp curry powder
• ½ Tsp yellow asafetida powder
• 1 Tsp paprika
• ½ Tsp black pepper powder
• Oil for deep frying
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 4-inch long and 1 or 1.25cm thick strips. In a mixing bowl, combine the cut potatoes and salt. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and pat dry them.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch, curry powder, asafetida, paprika and pepper. Add the spice-mix to the potatoes to coat well.
3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over moderately high heat.
4. Gently slip a few pieces of the potatoes into the hot oil and deep fry until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels. Repeat the same for the remaining potatoes. Serve hot.
By Anand Lila Devi Dasi