• Rice flour – 1 cup
• Besan (chickpea flour) – ¼ cup
• Butter (unsalted) – ¼ tsp
• Asafetida – ½ tsp
• Chili powder – 1-2 tsp
• Salt – as required
• Oil for deep frying
1. Heat the oil for deep frying in a wide saucepan.
2. Mix rice flour, besan, chili powder, asafetida.
3. Cut the butter into small pieces, rub into the mixture with your fingers and add water to make soft dough.
4. Put into a murukku press and squeeze into hot oil in circular motion – as big as the pan can hold.
5. Deep fry till golden brown.
6. Leave to drain and cool onto an absorbent paper towels.
7. Cool it completely and store in air-tight tins when cool.
By Bhaktin Sushma