• Chick pea flour (besan) – 1 ¼ cup
• Rice flour – 1 cup
• Red chili powder (optional) – ½ tsp
• Carom seeds powder (ajwain) – ½ tsp
• Cumin Seeds Powder – ¼ tsp
• Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
• Salt – as per taste
• Hot ghee or oil – 2 tbsp
• Oil for deep frying
1. Mix all together rice flour, gram flour, salt, hot ghee or oil, chili powder ,Cumin seeds powder, Carom seeds powder, turmeric and mix well.
2. Slowly add water little by little to make soft dough, just soft enough that it is pressed through easily with the chakali press.
3. Remove chakli attachment and instead of it put sev attachment.
4. Heat a wide heavy bottomed pan with enough oil for deep frying.
5. Take the (sev press) and fill it with the dough.
6. Once the oil is hot, reduce gas to medium flame and press the sev press in circular motion to make concentric layers of the sev dough.
7. As you press the dough into the hot oil, you will find the oil froths up in bubbles which will eventually subside as the sev turns to a golden color.
8. Fry for a minute on medium heat to achieve that golden color and crispness.
9. Don’t over fry otherwise color turns to brown.
10. When the sev turns a golden color, turn over to the other side and let it also cook to a golden color.
11. Use a slotted ladle to remove to an absorbent paper and cool.
12. Crush gently with hands before storing.
13. Cool completely before storing in an air tight or container.
By Bhaktin Ranjana