Lemon Cream-Cheese Fudge
• Whole milk – 10 cups (2.5 litres)
• Caster sugar or icing sugar – 1/2 cup (125ml)
• Strip of lemon rind – 7.5 cm (3-inch)
1. Knead and bray the curd cheese on a clean surface until it is silky smooth and creamy. Gather into one lump and calculate its volume with measuring cups. Measure one-quarter that volume of sugar. Combine the cheese, sugar, and lemon rind and again briefly knead and bray the cheese.
2. Place a heavy-bottomed pan on the lowest possible heat and, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon, cook the cheese for 10 to 15 minutes or until its surface becomes glossy and its texture slightly thickens.
3. Scrape the sandesh from the pan and remove the lemon rind. Press the sandesh onto a lightly buttered tray into a flat 1.25 cm (1/2-inch) thick cake. Cool to room temperature. Cut the cake into 2.5 cm (1-inch) squares, or mould into decorative shapes. (The ones pictured are made in special wooden sweet forms from India). When completely cool, store in an airtight container in a single layer. The sandesh can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.