Moong Dal Payasam
• Moong dal – 1 cup
• Jaggery grated – 1 ½ cup
• Coconut pieces – ½ cup
• Ghee – 2 tbsp
• Cashew – 8-10
• Cardamom – 2
• Raisins – 10-12
• Milk – 2 cups
• Soaked Poppy seeds – ¼ cup
• Almond nuts – 5
1. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan; roast yellow Moong dal to light red color, when it releases the rich fragrance. Remove them to a plate.
2. Again add 1tbsp ghee, roast cashew, crushed cardamom & raisins to golden. Do not let them burn. Remove them to plate.
3. In a pressure cooker, take roasted moong dal, milk, soaked poppy seeds, 1 cup water and allow cooking for 2 whistles.
4. Once the mixture is thick, open the lid and mash the contents.
5. Take grated jaggery in a thick bottomed pan, add ½ cup water, and allow the jaggery to boil on low flame stirring continuously.
6. Turn off the gas, filter the thick jaggery water (to remove dirt) and add to the mashed contents. Mix well.
7. Take coconut pieces, grind to paste in blender by adding little water to it.
8. Now add this coconut paste and stir.
9. Let it boil in low flame for 5 minutes or more, until it reaches thick, creamy consistency; add little milk, if required.
10. Add the roasted cashews, cardamom and raisins.
11. Garnish with grated almond nuts.
By Bhaktin Pooja